Safety at the beach!
Updated: Apr 13, 2020
With the beginning of summer and the summer heat, enjoying the pleasures of the sea becomes a priority, but it is important not to forget about safety. Here are some tips for staying safe in water.
1. Be aware of the waves. They’re much more powerful than you think. When in the water or near the water line (where the water hits the shore), never put your back to the waves. Most of Makarska Riviera beaches are rocky beach so you have to be aware of injuries. Be sure to check in with the lifeguard before hitting the water.
Keep you eye on your belongings, especially while swimming
2. Pick a swimming spot close to a lifeguard. Lifeguards are there for a reason — they know and can see things about the beach that most beachgoers don’t. Some beaches in Makarska Riviera do not have lifeguards and in that case you have to be extra careful.
3. Hydrate and fuel up. Extended exposure to heat and the relaxing effects of waves can easily lead to disorientation and reduced energy. Be sure to bring plenty of water and snacks down to the sand with you, and use them.
4. Look out for your children. Children are often mischievous and do not worry about the safety, therefore adults have to keep an eye on them. Every year some kid gets lost on the beach and the panic starts. Also watch for sun sickness/stroke, during hot weather find some shade.
5. Stay sober. Alcohol doesn’t only affect judgment; it can also dehydrate you, increasing the likelihood of heat-related sicknesses.
6. Be on a lookout for aquatic life. Water plants and animals may be dangerous. Avoid patches of plants. Leave the animals alone.